Blogging Assignment 2 by Jack cisar

The song I have chosen is “Say Something” by A Great Big World, featuring Christina Aguilera, as it discusses how one can lose someone that they love. The singer songwriters behind this song stated that they both were experiencing intense situations with people in their lives. In the “The Hate U Give” we know that Starr loses Khalil to gun violence, however, this song connects to Starr as she realized that Khalil was always in love with her, and she was unwittingly in love with him too. The song “Say Something” is about the struggles of losing a relationship with someone you loved, as you will see in the music video relationships come in many different forms, even your relationship to the dead. While this song was not included in this particular book or movie, it was included in “If I Stay” by Gayle Forman, where a young girl is the only one in her family to survive a terrible car accident but is left in a coma. The song “Say Something” is universal for depicting loss in all forms as seen through Starr as she never got the chance to say something to Khalil, however, she did get the chance to say something for Khalil. 

Say something, I'm giving up on you
I'll be the one, if you want me to
Anywhere, I would've followed you
Say something, I'm giving up on you

And I am feeling so small
It was over my head
I know nothing at all

And I will stumble and fall
I'm still learning to love
Just starting to crawl

Say something, I'm giving up on you
I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you
Anywhere, I would've followed you
Say something, I'm giving up on you

And I will swallow my pride
You're the one that I love
And I'm saying goodbye

Say something, I'm giving up on you
And I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you
And anywhere, I would have followed you, oh-oh
Say something, I'm giving up on you

Say something, I'm giving up on you
Say something

One thought on “Blogging Assignment 2 by Jack cisar

1. Carrie Hintz

Hi Jack, This is a beautiful and strong choice of song for the book, and your explanation foregrounds a really important emotional dimension of the text and its relationships. Well done! CH