Danielle’s Questions

1. In the book, we see Chris mature and eventually become an ally for black causes. Do you think he would’ve achieved this progress if Star wasn’t his girlfriend? Why or why not?
  2. If Star still attended Garden Heights and maintained that close relationship with Khalil, do you think she would’ve been so hesitant with speaking out and letting others know she was a witness to his murder? 
  3. When the kids are sneaking DeVante out of King’s house, Iesha distracts King so they can all get away without any trouble. Did you view this as her last act of motherhood to her kids or the start of Iesha turning over a new leaf?
  4. The book closes out with Starr saying “Khalil, I’ll never forget. I’ll never give up. I’ll never be quiet. I promise”. Do you think this was also meant to serve as a message to readers to never be quiet when it comes to injustice?

1. “What’s next? You want me to apologize because my ancestors were slave masters or something stupid?”

“Bitch—” I take a deep breath. Way too many people are watching. I cannot go angry black girl on her. “Your joke was hurtful,” I say, as calmly as I can”.

I picked this quote because it’s so relatable and really speaks to me as a black woman. I can tell you right now that I’ve been in this exact situation, from the ridiculous comment from a white person to mumbling “Bitch-“ to taking a deep breath and speaking calmly so I can beat the “angry black girl” allegations; it’s all too real to me.

2. “We just got off the phone with Ms. Ofrah, who said the grand jury will announce their decision in a few hours. She claims only the grand jurors know the decision, but I’ve got a sinking feeling I know it. It’s always the decision.”

I picked this quote specifically because of the last two sentences where Starr thinks “…but I’ve got a sinking feeling I know it. It’s always the decision”. This quote was, for lack of a better word, so real to me because it’s quite literally our reality today and has been our reality for centuries. It was the same feeling I had while watching George Floyd’s trial, but I was pleasantly surprised when the officer was convicted and sentenced to prison. That situation was an anomaly in which a white person got held accountable for their actions in this country but besides that, when a situation like this happens, we always know the decision because “It’s always the decision”.