Lily’s Questions

Questions for Blog #1:

1) As future educators, how might Bishop’s “Mirrors, Windows, and Sliding Glass” affect your selection of books for your students/children? How will you choose your book? What qualities does it need to have?

2) How might the purpose and plot of a book as a mirror, window, or door differ for young adults in comparison to children?

3) How was your reading experience as a child? Where you able to be exposed to books of different culture/race/world?4) In her article, Bishop focused more on the importance of books as a mirror, window, or door for children. How will you apply her ideas to young adult literature? What is similar, and how might it be different?

Quotes for Blog #1:

1) “When children cannot find themselves reflected in the books they read, or when the images they see are distorted, negative, or laughable, they learn powerful lesson about how they are devalued in the society of which they are a part”.

2) ”We are realistic enough to know that literature, no matter how powerful, has its limits. It won’t take the homeless off our streets; it won’t feed the starving of the word; it won’t stop people from attacking each other because of our racial differences; it won’t stamp out the scourge of drugs. It could, however, help us to understand each other better by helping to change our attitudes towards difference”.In the first quote, Bishop brought up the importance of books for children, and more importantly, how the children are depicted in the book, if they are even depicted. I thought it was important because I think it is the core to choosing books that serve as mirrors, windows, and doors. A book can really build up one’s knowledge and how they value themselves, especially when they are able to build connections with the characters in the book. A book can build up a child’s knowledge of the world and of themselves, so it is important for the book to have the “right” value that is beneficial for the children. Diversity is necessary, but not at the cost of ridicule that devalues one individual or community through scandalization. Therefore, as a future teacher, I would want to pay close attention to what the children are exposed to from the book to see if it can build the correct value for them. In addition, I really like the second quote because it was an answer to a question I was often asked and would ask myself many times. Why do you need books? How is reading books beneficial for your future? It is like Bishop said—a book is powerful, but it is also limited. The effect of the book is long-term; you might not see any immediate changes, but it allows us to understand; it slowly changes our attitudes, which I believe is the most basic cause that brings about the effect of racial and economic difference. In conclusion, I chose these two quotes because I think both are very inspiring and are core meanings of books, explaining why this society needs books and why we need the correct books.